About Our Philosophy and Approach
We are a progressive, project based tuition free K-8 charter school in the Conejo Valley emphasizing the development of the whole child.
- We thoughtfully integrate social emotional learning into our school community through a school-wide social emotional curriculum, through daily council, and through conflict resolution.
- Our teachers have been trained in community circle and council by the Ojai Foundation.
- Our behavior management focuses on pro-active strategies that enhance intrinsic motivation to learn and succeed.
- In the classroom, we incorporate creative, effective teaching methods which include project-based assignments, hands-on activities, differentiation, and flexibility while meeting (and often exceeding) the Common Core State Standards, NEXT Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and Appendices.
- Our K-8 school is an intentionally small, safe, and positive learning community where teachers and parents value whole child education.
- Parent volunteers are utilized in our classrooms, and we seek to offer many ways to integrate families meaningfully into our school.
- We focus on sustainability and health. We provide learning opportunities that promote responsibility to our community and ourselves: through healthy eating habits, environmental education and stewardship that will prepare students for success in the green economy of the future.
In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.